Sunday, October 11, 2015

Rushing, Back to the Basics, The usual

Here's a picture of a chicken. Me and my companion bought a whole chicken for 100 baht ($2.83 USD).

So yeah the last section from D&C 123 I had sent, I really wanted people to focus on like the 2nd half of it. That's where I found my inspiration but hey, maybe there was a reason that I forgot to specify certain verses.

So General Conference. So sweet. General Conference is a big meeting for members of the church to hear and receive guidance from the prophet and apostles that lead this church. Although I listened to all the sessions in Thai I surprised myself and understood more than I thought I would. What I had gotten out of conference was really a lot of the talks went back to the basics. Sabbath Day observance, keeping the commandments, being good people. Nothing fancy, nothing way confusing. Just a simple reminder. Be good people. Do good work. Things will be alright. Conference was awesome. Currently printing out some articles to study this week. We shall see what happens.

On a side note about conference. The story about the potter. Now that was quite confusing. Mostly because I had no idea what the words the translator was using in Thai. Then the pictures they showed to illustrate the points confused me even more. But I heard it's great, so I shall take some time and read it!

Baptism Yo!
So this is my first investigator that I have worked from the very beginning. I was inviting at a night market one night and wasn't having much success. So I decided hey. I'm gonna go hard for the next 10 minutes. Talk to everyone, just put forth every last ounce of effort I have. So I did, talked to a bunch of people. And I got this gentleman's number. It was sitting in my planner until last week I decided lets give him a call. I had called him before but he never answered. And it just so happened that this time, he answered and he accepted to come to church. Sunday morning I call his phone and it says that the number can't be reached. So I'm freaking out. Cause I thought I had someone and then they go and change their number. Like what. Alright, life moves on. Then in he walks. And he is such a champ. Had a ton of questions, loved the gospel. We never even taught him anything yet. He saw S. Cat's baptism and told me that he wanted to get baptized next week. I was excited. So we met with him every single day this past week, taught him all the lessons and wow. Like when God prepares someone to hear the gospel, they are prepared beyond belief. Way amazing. He's got a goal to be a missionary like us, and share the happiness that he's felt because of the gospel.


Woah. Woah. Woah. Thailand is amazing.

And on that note, we were planning for his baptism. Flipping through the hymnbook and then he points to this hymn "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief." And he asks me to try sing the tune. I sing the first verse for him, and tell him that I really love this song. How does he reply? Well he goes on to say (In English) "I think you like this song because it's about you. You are a distressed young man also." Yup. He nailed it. Thailand is confusing but I have found strength in God. It was hilarious, and I couldn't stop laughing.


Oh and then funny story about sister Cat. Surin isn't a huge place. Therefore we often get numbers from the same people. Like a few missionaries may have met a certain person on a different date and gotten their number before. Case 1-Sister Cat. We had just baptized her last week. Then this week the other elders in Surin were going through their numbers, called a potential investigator and then invited her to come and meet with them at church to explain about Jesus Christ. The name in Thai sounded very close to the way Sister Cat's name is spelled. So they're all excited that someone is coming to meet them and up on the motorbike comes sister Cat. Haha. She was really confused, but way chill about it all. Our companionship just ended up teaching her a mini lesson about General Conference. Surin is pretty small hahah.

So for things to focus on this week of the spiritual matter....


This talk. The Challenge to Become by Elder Dallin H. Oaks. This is the talk that can change your life. Just when you think you've done all that you can, we realize that we can do so much more. It's one thing to know something. It's another to become something. Heavenly Father knows our potential. Why don't we trust Him?

It's gonna be a great week!

Aloha,
Elder แลลิส
Forward Ever. Stopping Never.

No comments:

Post a Comment